Sunday, February 2, 2014

Stickhouse : Gelato and Sorbet on a Stick!



Have you seen or tried Stickhouse? If not you might just not have paid any attention to it, thinking that it's just ordinary but expensive ice cream. I haven't for some reason. It is weird because anything that screams ice cream-ish or ice cream like, I pay attention to. 

So stickhouse isn't your ordinary Popsicle. Well it is gelato. Some would say "You say tomato, I say tomato". But there is a difference between the gelato and ice cream.


Here is what you need to know about "Gelato" :
  • it is made of water or milk (be it whole milk, skim milk, soy milk. etc)
  • it has sugar (it can vary from sucrose, dextrose, lactose, fructose, honey, glucose, corn syrup, or even Splenda!)
  • Stabilizers and emulsifiers (they are used to preserve flavor, improve taste, and appearance)
  • flavor
  • air (Yes, it needs air too, just like you and me. It is whipped with air to increase the volume and for a smoother texture)

*milk based gelato are denser than water based gelato (a.k.a Sorbette)

Gelato's are/used to look like softer, mushier, creamier version of ice creams. But innovation setted in and turned to to Popsicles via "THE GHIACCIOLA"

What is it? When I have no clue about something, I feel stupid (which is a downer). But thanks to google, those days are forever gone. So what is Ghiacciola?


La Ghiacciola is a patented machine for the production of ice-creams on stick, made by C.C.F., a very dynamic Italian Company working in ice-cream, pastry, bar and restaurants industry since several years. With this machine C.C.F. makes you discover the great tradition of handmade ice-cream and sorbets. As a matter of face La Ghiacciola is indeed the only machine of small dimensions that automatically effectuate all the production cycle, reducing at minimum manual operations. With La Ghiacciola you can produce easily and hygienically, excellent classic or chocolate covered ice-creams, exquisite fresh fruit sorbets, also made with two tastes, and refreshing icicles all on stick.
For short : it is a sophisticated machine made to make ice cream Popsicles in a jiffy!


Here is the thing. Stickhouse says that they don't make their gelato's the same way. They do not use air insufflation, because they say the absence of air gives the product a persistent taste, without the need to use aromas (artificial aromas to be exact), in a full-bodied structure typical of the traditional ice-cream.

Well true.. Their gelato indeed is very flavorful and it doesn't melt as fast as it should!


Just like ice cream they have lots of different flavors, well most of your favorite flavors (nothing too exotic ok?). Just like how ice cream bars make them, you can add a little "DIY" to your Popsicle.

  • You can dress it up by adding dips in full or half.. 
  • You can accessorize it by adding almonds, hazelnuts, coffee and pistachio in full or half too.
  • Or if you prefer you can have it as it is.


I love ice cream and all their ice cream descendants, ancestors, nieces, cousins or whatever. I think I have spent a fortune on them alone. Even if I believe that no ice cream is too expensive, I can never resist a great bargain. Especially when it comes to food. We all have to spend on food, I spend a lot on food. Why not take advantage of the bargain if it is there, right?

I love how when I go the malls during weekdays because they have all these "promos and discounts". Is business really that bad or people are just too tired to go out after work. I wouldn't know. Haha

Their promo runs during MONDAYS to THURSDAYS. Where you can buy their gelato and sorbet Popsicle for only P50.00

Sorbet is for P60.00
  • Mango
  • Melon
  • Grape
Their Regular Gelato is P70.00 
  • Pistachio
  • Coffee
and their Premium Gelato is P80.00
  • Chocolate
  • Gianduia
  • Milk Chocolate
  • Strawberry
  • Mango
  • Vanilla
While doing a little research about them and gelatos. I happen to stumble upon something quite interesting. You know how wise people usually say "Tell me who your friends are and I will tell you who you are". 

WhyGelato.com has their own version of it. "Tell me which gelato you like and I will tell you who you are." Made no sense to me, but I'll indulge! It is quite interesting how our choices reflects and says a lot about us. Especially when it comes to food, don't you think? But does it really say that? If it does, I bet I am suffering from a multi personality disorder or some sort.


So if asked what gelato flavor do you want, which are you?

FAVORITE FLAVORSPERSONALITY TYPE
Coconut, Pistachio, Tiramisu, Blackberry, PearAmbitious, Brave, Confident
Amaretto, Cinnamon, Croccantino al Rum, Forest Berries, Passion FruitCharming, Flirtatious
Biscotto, Pannacotta, Vanilla, Cherry, StrawberryClassic, Modest
Caramellatte, White Chocolate, Peanut, Melon, Green TeaGenerous, Charitable
Coffee, Mint, Lime, Apricot, PapayaFriendly, Sociable
Chocolate, Hazelnut, Roasted Almond, OrangeLoyal, Honest
Cappuccino, Walnut, Rum & Raisin, Quarcream (Cheesecake), Green AppleReliable, Hard-working
Ginger, Kiwi, Pink Grapefruit, Pink GuavaAdventurous, Curious
Bubble Gum, Torrone, Gran Stracciatella Reale, Mango, Banana, Watermelon, PineappleCheerful, Positive
Caramel, Meringue, Bilberry, Peach, RaspberryCaring, Compassionate, Nurturing

For me, the choice for the night was Strawberry which according to the Gelato Personality, I am classic and modest. I highly doubt that. I think I am the opposite of it. Maybe.. I don't think the Popsicle thought I was a modest person, just because I was chewing its limbs away! If it had one or two.



If you are in the mood for something cold for dessert, yet you want something a little "healthier" than ice cream. Gelato or Sorbet would be a good alternative. They do have a great selection waiting for you!


Visit them at :
  • Sm Mega Mall - ground floor, building A
  • Trinoma - 1st and 4th floor (near the ticket booth)
  • Eastwood City Walk 1

or visit check out their facebook page at : Stickhouse Ph




No comments:

Post a Comment

Other things that might interest you

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...